Wednesday, May 11, 2011

How have I survived without it?

Afternoon Colleagues,

I conducted my first official Skype conversation this week with a True Wolf! Mr. Frederick Wulfram. With the invention of this remarkable technology I felt it was historically necessary to recite "Mary had a little lamb" but instead I did as advised and simply recited our alphabet, and yes we had communication. Of course I was required to leave the room because Mr. Wulf and I were sitting beside each other in Cindy's office and therefore could not Skype properly. I think one of the requirements to proper Skyping is that we need to be continents apart or at least 50 feet. If you sit too close, conversation is impossible.
I encountered this same problem days earlier when Cindy and I tried to connect, and she had to walk out of the room. Unfortunately, after walking nearly two miles away from me the only sound I could hear was the squelching of an Alien. If I had studied the art of reading one's lips I might have been able to read some words because we did have video. We tried connecting with "ToughGuy" Matt Weatherington, but after 15 minutes of effort he still could not get login.
Needless to say, I am missing the necessity of Skype. Clearly I have not lived enough.
I look forward to the day when District 219 funds my trip to Costa Rica so that I may teach a semester of all my classes from a cafe there; at which time I promise I would Skype no less than three days a week!
BTW--you ever notice that when the conversation of Skype comes up, the word "Africa" always seems to be lounging on a divan nearby?
Thanks for Reading,
Nate Gray

No comments:

Post a Comment